Wondering how to dye dark hair purple without bleach? Well, here’s your guide on how to get that electric amethyst dye without bleaching. Read further to know more about it.
Everyone needs a little change in their appearance to make things interesting and try out new looks. These days the hair dyes are not restricted to black or brown instead it’s taking the electric road where colours like purple, green, blue etc. are extremely popular.
You might be hesitant about getting your hair coloured to purple as you’ve heard a lot of people saying bleach damages hair. Well, they aren’t wrong. Bleach is usually required to colour hair when it comes to colours like purple, blue, green etc. especially when your hair is black or brown.
How to dye dark hair purple without bleach?
Choose a semi-permanent purple dye and mix the solution and the dye in the ratio given. Divide your hair into sections with hair clips and apply the purple dye. Cover your hair with a shower cap after application and let it dry for about 20-30 minutes. Let your hair dry naturally. Use styling products after 2 hours and use heat protectant to prevent damaging. Always remember to patch tests before using any dye.
But, there are also ways you can do it without the bleach. Initially when I wanted to colour my hair purple, I wasn’t sure about bleaching either. I researched a lot on how to dye dark hair purple without bleach and after a few days tried it on my hair. To my surprise, it looked awesome.
You can also try different shades of purple like lilac, violet, mauve etc. as you like it. It looks super fancy and you’d definitely love it, trust me. Well, without further ado, let’s know how to dye dark hair purple without bleach below!
How To Dye Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach
Well, now that you’re ready to know how to dye dark hair purple without bleach we’ll first start with the basics on what you should consider before dying, how to dye, a few essential tips and a lot more.
What to Consider When Dyeing Your Hair Purple or Any Colour
Before we know how to dye dark hair purple without bleach, below are a few things you’d want to know before colouring your hair for safety reasons.
- Patch test: Always carry out a patch test with the hair dye even if you’ve used the brand. Take a small amount of the hair dye solution and apply it on your inner elbow and leave it for drying. The patch test is done to make sure you’re not allergic to the dyes or the ingredients. If you develop irritation then you should not use the dye at all.
- Result based on your natural hair: The results that you get after dying your hair depends on your previous hair colour. You might not get the desired colour you want as you aren’t using bleach. You’ll get dark purple if you have black hair. So, the shades will depend on the natural hair.
- Shade of purple to choose: If you have dark hair then darker shades like amethyst, burgundy, indigo produce better results.
- Type of dye: The type of dye depends on how long you want to keep your hair dyed purple. All the dyes fade over time, even the permanent ones. Permanent dyes can last upto 24 washes, semi permanent ones last about 8-16 washes and temporary dyes last for only about 1-3 washes.
Things Needed to Dye Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach
So, before knowing how to dye dark hair purple without bleach, let’s arrange the things that you’ll require to dye your hair. These things are extremely important and will ensure your hair is dyed properly without any mess.
- Dye for your hair: Choose the dye you want. Go for a semi or demi permanent colour for your hair. Get a well-known branded product, don’t choose something cheap.
- Gloves: Gloves are important so that you don’t stain your hands. Choose disposable ones.
- Hair clips: Hair clips are used to secure your hair and divide them in parts while dying. Make sure you have at least 6-7 of them according to your hair length.
- Old clothes: Choose an old tee shirt so that you don’t stain your new or favourite clothes.
- Shower cap: shower cap is important to protect your dyed hair
- Shampoo: Wash your hair with clarifying shampoo that will help you get rid of all the scalp build up etc.
- Conditioner: Conditioner is a good way to prepare your hair before applying dye as it will nourish your hair and smoothen it.
- Heat Styling protector: If you’re planning to curl or straighten your hair then you will need something to protect your hair that will not cause any damage.
Guide on How To Dye Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach
Finally after knowing what is required and what to consider, let’s move on to the main question, how to dye dark hair purple without bleach. It’s not a very tough job if you ask me. All you need to do is follow a few simple steps. Here’s how to dye dark hair purple without bleach, below:
- Picking the right shade of purple: There are plenty of purple dyes available in the market but it’s tricky to pick one for yourself. Pick something that suits and goes well with your skin tone.
- Prepare your hair before dyeing: Don’t wash your hair right before dyeing your hair as it will not be good for dyeing. Keep washing your hair a few days before dyeing your hair so that you get rid of the extra particle in your scalp.
- Mixing the hair dye: You’ll find the instructions at the back of the product. Mix the dye and the solution in the provided ratio and follow the directions to apply it on your hair.
- Divide your hair into sections: divide your hair into sections so that colouring makes hair colouring easy. You’ll know which section is left to be coloured easily by dividing your hair sections. Use hair clips for the same.
- Set Timer: After dyeing your hair fully, cover your hair with a plastic bag or shower cap. Time your hair according to the given instructions and let it dry. It usually takes about 20-40 minutes to completely dry.
- Wash the dye: Wash off all the colour from your hair and use a conditioner to keep the colour intact. Don’t use a shampoo just after dyeing your hair.
- Drying your dyed hair: Dry your dyed hair naturally, don’t use heat styling products immediately to avoid hair damage. Style your hair after 2-3 hours and don’t forget to use heat protectant.
Tips to Keep in Mind While Dyeing Your Hair Purple Without Bleach
Now that you know how to dye dark hair purple without bleaching, here are some tips that will help you while you’re in the process. Please keep these tips in mind as they’re quite important.
- Avoid going out in the sun just after colouring your hair as it will fade the colour due to harmful UV rays.
- Use petroleum jelly around your skin espeauclky in the neck region so that the dye doesn’t stain your skin. You might look like the purple teletubby if you do so.
- Avoid washing your hair frequently as it will also result in fading your hair.
- Use colour protecting hair products like shampoos, conditioners and styling products etc. to protect your purple hair.
- Always conduct a patch test before using any dye even if you’ve been using the product for too long. Allergic reactions are quite sudden because you don’t want to develop irritation, rashes or damaged hair.
How To Dye Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach? : FAQ
Can you colour dark hair without bleaching it?
Yes, you can dye dark hair without bleaching to change the tone of your hair. If you want lighter shades or if your hair is previously coloured then you might need bleach.
Can you put purple hair dye on black hair?
Yes, you can put purple hair dye on black hair but you can’t expect it to be lighter in shade. Go for darker shades like indigo, amethyst, burgundy etc.
Can you get purple hair without bleaching?
Yes, you can get purple hair without bleaching. There are various products available in the market that will help you dye your hair without bleach but the colour on your hair will differ depending on your natural hair colour.
How do you dye black hair purple?
It’s quite easy to colour black hair purple. Divide your hair into sections. Mix the dye and solution as per instructions given and apply it on your hair in tiny sections. Leave your dyed hair to dry and wash it after 20-30 mins as per instructions and let it dry naturally. You’ll achieve a nice dark purple colour on your hair without bleaching.
Purple Head without Bleach
Purple hair colour looks super cool and fun. If you’re scared about the bleach situation, we’ve given you the information on how to dye dark hair purple without bleach. Hope you find the instructions and the guide easy to follow. Come back for more such guides here, cheers!