Here’s a step by step guide on how to do pigtail braids. Check it out!
The hairstyle which seems to be doing rounds and has never left the fashion industry is pigtail braids. They are braids that are tightly plaited which resemble a pig’s tail. Pigtail braids are quite a in trend and are worn by celebrities and fashion stylists all over the world, it is most popular because of its neat and classy look and can be used by anyone if you do it right.
This hairstyle has been even more popular across post quarantine situations. It is not only convenient, stylish and helps to keep your hair neat but also protects your hair from getting messy and tangled.
Pigtail braids were very popular in places like Japan, it was mostly used by women to signify their marital status. If a woman is supposedly unmarried would usually wear two buns whereas if a woman is married would wear braids, this was made mandatory so men could identify and tell the difference.
Now isn’t this an interesting fact to know that hairstyles could have such relevancy? However, pigtail braids are more an in thing now and are very popular among fashionistas across the globe.
How To Do Pigtail Braids
Ponytails can be boring, but we are here to help you spice things up and get heads to turn as you can get as creative as you like with the pigtail braids.
- Step 1: Firstly, you need to divide your hair and section it into two parts
Here’s how to take your hair and divide it into two sections with a fine-toothed comb and make sure your strands are detangled. You can also spray some water to help smoothen the process. Make sure you do not do this gently as it can lead to hair breakage.
- Step 2: Secondly, you need to start braiding
Now you need to divide hair further into smaller sections.
- Step 3: Choose the side you want to start working on first and further divide it into little sections and start braiding with a simple braid.
- Step 4: Take the little section, cross it over the right and then take a little section and cross it over the left and keep repeating the process throughout the section and add strands of hair to get a braid.
- Step 5: The next step to this is to make a French braid, what you need to do is take sections of your hair and follow the same steps and make constructive French braids.
Types of Pigtail Braids
This Chinese pigtail braid is rather popular and is a very neat hairdo. It is popular among celebrities and influencers across the globe. Take the strands of your hair and divide them into sections but a pro tip would be to make your hair damp and apply a hair serum prior to styling so that you can control the baby hair and get a neat look.
Bubble braids look really stylish if you do it right when you are in a rush to go to work and do not have enough time to get a neat braid to go for the bubble braids. Divide your hair into two sections but this time keep it messy.
Keep your elastic bands handy and tie them into sections of your hair and do a pigtail but keep enough room for breathing and keep it stranded. Now make sure to loosen the sections of your hair and you have your messy pigtail braid ready. This is an amazing look for casual meetups or while you are in a rush to go to work.
This is one old and classy hairdo that never goes out of fashion and it is so easy to create the look. The best part about it is keeps your hair neat and out of your face so you can carry on your work and daily chores at ease
How do you make your braids look elegant and stylish? Add some colours to them, you can achieve this by using a ribbon. All you need is your favourite ribbon to go along with the hairdo, as you braid your hair into a pigtail instead of taking another section of your hair, take the ribbon and move it along the braid. The ribbon helps to pop up the look and makes you look elegant and stylish.
Let us first understand what is the difference between the two hairstyles and why they are often confused. Ponytails are hairstyles that look like a pony’s tail as the name suggests, this hairstyle is widely popular, your hair should be entirely tucked back and tied on top while the rest falls carefree. You can play as much as you want with this look as it is simple and easy. Whereas for a pigtail, your hair needs to be divided into two sections and tied with a rubber band, you can add interesting braids and beads to this hairstyle.
Styling Products To Do Pigtail Braids
Though braiding is easy and stylish you must make sure you take care of your hair while you style it and also protect your hair from damage. Below I have curated a few products which will help us to work at ease with pigtail braids. I have used them over a period of time and rated them accordingly with 1 being the least and 5 being the most effective.
Factors I have considered to keep in mind while curating the styling products are:
- Nourishment: It is important that the products used while we style our hair does not strip it off of its natural potential and provides nourishment
- Moisture locking: The products have moisture retention capability, it helps keep the moisture of your hair strands
- Essential oil: The products should contain essential oils which are vital for hair growth and development
- Non-sticky: Sticky styling gels and products make it difficult to get a style right and braiding tends to get even more difficult, make sure you use non-sticky products when you wear pigtail braids
- Does not cause itching: Make sure the products you use on your hair do not cause itching and allergies, I would advise you to take a patch test before you go all in and apply it to your hair. Take a section of your hair and try it and see if it works for you only then do proceed.
Let us now look into the pros and cons of the products I have curated in detail.
Diamond Edges Black Panther Strong Braids & Edge Tamer
The Diamond Edges Black Panther Strong Braids is rich in aloe vera and nutrients and prevents hair and scalp from getting dry and unruly also prevents itching and dandruff. This helps in styling and holding the baby hair which comes out while we do the pigtail braids and makes sure the locked braids are kept intact. It is non-cake which means it gets absorbed completely and does not form a white layer. Use this product right before you begin hair sectioning and let this sit for some time. It helps create sleek and smooth edges while you style.
- Does not contain harmful chemicals
- Provides nourishment
- Non-sticky in nature
- Helps in making smooth edges while braiding
- Has artificial fragrance
- Has low retention capability
Rating: 4.3 / 5
I got my hands on SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In conditioner. What I like about this product is it has 100% pure Jamaican black castor oil to soften and detangle hair.
It is made of 100 per cent vegan butter with enriching properties. It helps to soften strands and detangles hair. Helps control frizziness and contains Vitamin e nutrients. The Shea butter helps to nourish, moisturize and support elasticity to resist breakage when detangling the hair while you style your pigtail braids.
- 100 per cent vegan
- Adds shine to the hair strands
- Does not contain silicone, parabens or sulphate
- Cannot be used in chemically processed hair
- Leaves a white cast
Rating: 4.2 / 5
The Mane Choice tropical moringa braid-out glaze worked wonders for my hair while wearing the pigtail braid. It is enriched with sweet oil and honey formula which deeply penetrates the hair shaft and infuses it with moisture and nutrients. This not only helps with hair healing but also helps in hair strengthening. You will notice a visible difference in your hair, it will become more soft, nourished and shiny but this will only be visible with a prolonged period of use.
- Rich in added nutrients
- Infused with hair moisture
- Deep penetration
- Helps in hair strengthening
- Prevents hair damage
- Restores hair for long-lasting moisture
- Unpleasant fragrance
- Leave a cast behind
Rating: 4.5 / 5
African Pride Black Castor Miracle Braid & Scalp Cleansing Rinse is an amazing product that
gently detoxes & conditions hair, edges & scalp during braided styles & under weaves. This rinse also calms itching and reduces frizz leaving hair refreshed & styles lasting. The castor oil needs to be massaged into the scalp and hair, let sit for about 30 minutes and then wash it off. The ingredients in these products are free of harmful components, including parabens, mineral oil, sulfates, & petrolatum. You can be guaranteed of it being gentle on your hair and keeping it well-nourished.
- Free of harmful chemicals
- Gentle on hair
- Helps in getting a neat pigtail braid
- Provides nourishment
- Takes some time to rinse off completely
- May leave a sticky residue
Rating: 4.3 / 5
If you want to go out and experiment with your hairstyle try the pigtail braid, this look will never run out of fashion. You can now ace your pigtail braids with these quick tips and tricks.