Looking for the best shampoo for tape extensions? Well, check out some of the top tape extension shampoo brands that will help you keep your extensions soft, smooth and fluffy. Read further to know more about it.
People with hair fall issues or less hair have always been insecure about their hair but tape extensions have been a saviour all this time. Tape extensions give a look for natural hair and blend in with real hair perfectly.
Best Shampoo For Tape Extensions: Quick Summary
|Best Shampoo For Tape Extensions||Ingredients|
|Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo||Green tea, jojoba oil and sage|
|L’Oréal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Moisture Shampoo||Rosemary leaf|
|MATRIX Total Results Length Goals Shampoo||Ceramides, wheat protein and sodium chloride|
|OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Shampoo||Coconut milk, whipped egg white protein and coconut oil|
|Big Kizzy F.A.T.T. Biotin Shampoo||Biotin, two potent vitamins and a cocktail of 11 amino acids|
|Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2 Shampoo||Salicylic acid, wheat protein and safflower|
|Dermachange Natural Hair Growth Shampoo||Orange peel, amino acids, vitamin B5, and humectant molecules|
Tape extensions are the best hair extensions to use as they have medical adhesive that will attach to the hair pretty easily from the roots. Some people wear it as fashion while others have them to cover up surgical marks or hair loss etc.
How we tested the best shampoo for tape extension?
We tried and tested over 10+ shampoos meant for tape extensions and rated the shampoos based on formula, color protect, and cleansing formula. We rated the shampoos on a scale of 1 – 10 and only the shampoos that scored 8 and above made the list.
- Formula: The first was the formula. Naturally any shampoo that had a high percentage of sulfates didn’t make the cut. Tape extensions require mid, sulfate free shampoos with low salt content. So we tested the shampoos to see which shampoo doesn’t erode the tape extensions glue.
- Color protect: Some tape extensions may be colored and not necessarily be virgin hair. Which is why the shampoos were tested to see if it protected or faded the color of the tape extensions with regular washes.
- Cleansing power: While the shampoos are mild this doesn’t mean that they don’t do a decent job at cleaning. We also checked if the shampoos successfully remove dirt, grease, and other dirt from hair and scalp.
Which is the Best Shampoo for Tape Extensions?
My team and I tested 15+ shampoos for tape extensions on the basis of their ingredients, effects on extensions and overall benefits and rated them on the scale of 5. We found Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo to be the best in the list.
Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo makes your hair smooth, soft and keeps it moisturised for long hours. It works great on dry, fine and colour treated hair. The formula is free of sulfate and is also vegan. It consists of green tea, jojoba oil and sage that are great for hair and provides an amazing scent of patchouli, bergamot and lavender. It has an antifade complex that will not ruin the colour of your tape extensions.
Tape extensions add volume, hair length, colour and do so much more than it looks. It’s extremely stylish and easy to use but you need to take good care of them otherwise they might build up dirt and also get damaged.
You need to handle the tape extensions with utmost care for it to last long. Combing the tape extensions regularly, wash and condition them often and also don’t sleep with wet extensions etc. Using a nice shampoo can ensure that your extensions are maintained well.
- Related: Best Keratin Shampoo
To take care of your hair, we have listed down the best shampoo for tape extensions that will help you keep them safe, untangled, smooth and silky.
L’Oréal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Moisture Shampoo
If you’re looking for the best drugstore shampoo for tape in extensions then L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-free moisture shampoo is an amazing option for you! It just costs about $10 for 11 FL OZ (325 ml) which makes it super affordable.
This drugstore shampoo for tape extensions is formulated to also protect colored hair and add shine and moisture back into the hair. I noticed that though the shampoo has a good percentage of moisturizing against it doesn’t weigh down the hair.
Another thing I really liked about this shampoo ingredients list is that it contains rosemary leaf which is known for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties – which means it’ll keep your scalp healthy overall!
Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo
Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo is the best shampoo for tape extensions that makes your hair smooth, soft and keeps it moisturised for long hours. It works great on dry, fine and colour treated hair.
This is the best sulfate free shampoo for tape extension and is also cruelty free. It consists of green tea, jojoba oil and sage that are great for hair and provides an amazing scent of patchouli, bergamot and lavender. It has an antifade complex that will not ruin the colour of your tape extensions.
I use this shampoo on my tape extensions and I’m extremely impressed with how much it does to the extensions to keep them cleaned.
- Antifade complex
- Good for dry, fine and colour treated hair
- Sulfate free
- Vegan formula
- Nice scent
MATRIX Total Results Length Goals Shampoo
Matrix Total Results Shampoo is another best shampoo for tape extensions in the list that helps in maintaining overall hair health of your extensions.
It restores hair shine, delicately cleanses hair and doesn’t affect the adhesive of your extensions.
The formula is gentle and uses ingredients like ceramides, wheat protein and sodium chloride that washes hair impurities and helps in keeping the hair healthy and silky. It’s free of sulfate and also detangles hair very easily.
This shampoo is dedicated to hair extensions that actually nourishes hair and brings out the best results pretty quickly. It also protects hair colour vibrancy.
- Sulfate free formula
- Boosts overall hair health
- Nourishing and restoring formula
- Protects hair colour
OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Shampoo
OGX shampoo is one of the best shampoos for hair in general that provides utmost nourishment, hydration and has a deep cleansing effect.
It’s formulated with coconut milk, whipped egg white protein and coconut oil that strengthens hair, provides hair elasticity and balances hair health.
It retains moisture, protects hair colour vibrancy and also makes your hair look voluminous.
This shampoo is mildly scented and feels extremely good after application. OGX shampoo will restore your hair shine and make it look radiant. It’s the best shampoo for tape extensions.
Use this shampoo with its conditioner for the best results.
- Natural ingredients and sulfate free formula
- Nice fragrance
- Strengthens hair, hydrates, balances and improve hair elasticity
- Deep cleansing effect
Big Kizzy F.A.T.T. Biotin Shampoo
Big Kizzy Biotin Shampoo is a great shampoo for hair extensions, hair colour and keratin treatments.
It consists of biotin, two potent vitamins and a cocktail of 11 amino acids that help in hair strengthening, repair and makes it thick and fuller.
It’s ideal for brazilian blowouts and unique hair extensions that are hard to maintain.
It doesn’t contain parabens, silicone or sulfate that are hair damaging. It’s cruelty free and contains no oil that can harm your hair. It’s salon approved and can be used by anyone.
Big Kizzy is the best shampoo for tape extensions for thick and fuller hair.
- Hair benefitting ingredients
- Good for hair extensions, keratin and colour treated hair
- Cruelty free
- Salon approved
Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2 Shampoo
The Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo is known to be the best shampoo for tape extensions because of its ingredients.
It’s formulated with salicylic acid, wheat protein and safflower that helps with hair elasticity, strengthening and colour protection.
Kerastase shampoo also provides an extremely smooth and silky finish. It also helps in improving the durability of your remy hair extensions.
If you have a sensitised hair type, this is the best formulated shampoo to go for. The only downside is that it contains SLS.
- Hair benefitting ingredients
- For sensitised hair type
- Smooth and silky finish
- Improves hair extensions durability
DermaChange Natural Hair Growth Shampoo
DermaChange Natural hair growth shampoo is an extremely nice shampoo that reaps quick benefits, especially for tape extensions as it helps in prolonging it’s life.
I have used this shampoo for quite some time and I could feel the difference in as short as 2-3 week’s time.
DermaChange is formulated with orange peel, amino acids, vitamin B5, and humectant molecules that help in maintaining hair health like protection against hair loss, hair strengthening etc. The best part about this is, it’s unisex and is hypoallergenic.
This shampoo also balances scalp pH and avoids hair dryness. Use it with conditioner for best results.
- Hair benefitting ingredients
- Quick results
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo is an excellent product that deeply cleanses and nourishes hair.
It is specially formulated for dry, damaged, and chemically treated hair, but it can work well for all hair types.
The shampoo is made with all-natural and organic ingredients that are gentle on the hair and scalp, including raw shea butter, argan oil, sea kelp, and avocado oil.
One of the things I love about this shampoo is its thick and creamy consistency. It lathers well and leaves my hair feeling soft, silky, and hydrated.
It also has a pleasant scent that is not overpowering but still leaves my hair smelling fresh and clean.
I also appreciate that it doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, or phthalates, which can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause damage over time.
After using Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo, my hair feels stronger and more manageable. It helps to reduce breakage and split ends, and it makes my hair easier to style.
I also appreciate that it comes in a generously sized bottle, so it lasts a long time and provides good value for the price.
Overall, I would highly recommend Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo to anyone looking for a high-quality, all-natural shampoo that cleanses and nourishes the hair without causing damage or dryness.
It is a great product that delivers on its promises and leaves your hair looking and feeling healthy and beautiful.
- Made with all-natural and organic ingredients that are gentle on the hair and scalp.
- Formulated for dry, damaged, and chemically treated hair, but can work well for all hair types.
- Thick and creamy consistency that lathers well and leaves hair feeling soft, silky, and hydrated.
- Pleasant scent that is not overpowering but still leaves hair smelling fresh and clean.
- Does not contain any harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, or phthalates, which can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause damage over time.
- Helps to reduce breakage and split ends, and makes hair easier to style.
- Comes in a generously sized bottle, providing good value for the price.
- Some users with very fine hair may find that the shampoo is too heavy and can leave hair feeling weighed down.
- The creamy consistency may require more product than other shampoos to create a rich lather.
- The scent may not be to everyone’s liking.
- The price point may be higher than other shampoos on the market.
How To Choose A Shampoo for Tape Extensions?
Here are some things to keep in mind while looking for a shampoo for tape extensions:
- Ingredients: Ingredients such as coconut oil, biotin, b3 and keratin are great for tape extensions. Avoid harmful ingredients like parabens, mineral oils, sulfate etc.
- Hair type: choose a shampoo that suits the hair type of your tape extensions. Shampoos with nourishing and hydrating ingredients that keep your hair extensions healthy, soft and silky. Choose a colour protecting shampoo if your tape extensions are colour treated.
- Price: Tape extension shampoos are usually pricier than normal shampoos but it’s worth it to protect them and keep them safe for a longer period of time. Drugstore shampoos are the best to go for.
- Brand: Go for branded tape extensions shampoo and conditioner and read the reviews before purchasing them to have an in-depth knowledge about them. Choose something that’s popular in the market with the most credibility.
Best Shampoo for Tape Extensions: FAQs
Can I use regular shampoo on tape in extensions?
It’s not recommended that you use regular shampoo if you have tape extensions. This may ruin your tape extensions and cause the glue to weaken. Instead, it’s recommended that you use sulfate-free shampoos specially formulated for tape extensions.This will make sure that the tape extensions are frizz free and smooth. Here are some recommendation you can try: Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo, OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Shampoo, Dermachange Natural Hair Growth Shampoo.
How often should I wash my tape extensions?
You should wash your tape extensions at least twice a week for maintaining and prolonging its life. Use dry shampoo once or twice when you’re not washing them in between the week.
Which ingredients work best for hair extension hydration?
The best ingredients for hair extensions hydration are coconut oil, B3 and keratin as they lock in moisture and avoid brittleness.
Hey there! I’m Joanne. I’m a hair stylist by the day and a beauty blogger by the night. My hairstyling journey leaped when I started writing blogs on different topics related to the same.